Title Under Header

.

Friday, June 17, 2011

English ~ indignant & indignation

Word For The Day...

I got this word 'indignant' from today's first reading (2 Cor 11:18,21-30). This is not a word that I'd use. I would probably just use 'angry' or 'annoyed'.

But I guess, sometimes we need to use a variation to break the monotony of a long passage when words like 'angry' or 'annoyed' have already been employed... hence, it may be time to use the word 'indignant'.

~~~.
English ~ indignant & indignation

~~~.
Dictionary:

in·dig·nant
adjective /inˈdignənt/ 
Feeling or showing anger or annoyance at what is perceived as unfair treatment
- he was indignant at being the object of suspicion

in·dig·na·tion
noun /ˌindigˈnāSHən/ 
Anger or annoyance provoked by what is perceived as unfair treatment
- the letter filled Lucy with indignation

~~~.
Samples:

(2 Corinthians 11:29)

Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is led to sin, and I am not indignant?

English Standard Version (©2001)
Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to fall, and I am not indignant?

International Standard Version (©2008)
Who is weak without me being weak, too? Who is caused to stumble without me becoming indignant?

World English Bible
Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is caused to stumble, and I don't burn with indignation?

Weymouth New Testament
Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is led astray into sin, and I am not aflame with indignation?

New International Version (©1984)
Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?

New Living Translation (©2007)
Who is weak without my feeling that weakness? Who is led astray, and I do not burn with anger?

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
Who is weak without my being weak? Who is led into sin without my intense concern?

~~~.

No comments: