Title Under Header

.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Night-Soil Carrier

I just received via email, the links to 3 BLOGS about this occupation that is no longer existent in Singapore. I do remember seeing the ‘Night-Soil Carrier’ when I stayed at my cousin's home during some weekends and I would run to the other end of the house, and I was glad that the house was huge. Although the job title says ‘Night-Soil Carrier’, I remembered seeing them during the day. What did they do? Well, in the days of the Bucket System when we did our "toilet-duty" into a bucket, the Night-Soil Carrier's job was to clear the dirty bucket and replace it with a clean one. I remember seeing them carrying 2 buckets balanced at the ends of one stick slung over their shoulder. Now you know why I avoided them.

I can't help think of an Ad on TV about 'The Carrier Man' sung to the tune of 'The Candy Man'. Here are some lyrics to sing to, give it a try...

~~~
The Night-Soil Carrier Man ~ Song Lyrics
(sung to the tune of 'The Candy Man')

Who will clean your bucket?
When you've done your POO
Who will clean your bucket and return it back to you
The Carrier Man can,
The Night-Soil Carrier Man can
The Carrier Man can coz he cleans it up with love
So when you need it it's good... and clean

~~~
Enough said & sung.

If you want to read more about The Night-Soul Carrier, here are the links to 3 BLOGS.
http://yesterday.sg/2010/09/three-ply-what-about-no-ply/
http://yesterday.sg/2006/09/tribute_to_a_humble_profession/
http://yesterday.sg/2009/07/under-one-roof-public-housing-in-singapore/

~~~
.

No comments: