Title Under Header

.

Friday, November 13, 2009

Hokkien SMS

2009 Oct 30, Friday, 07:16pm
.
I'm basically monolingual. But I do speak a bit of hokkien. Here's an example of how bad my hokkien is.
.
My wife & daughter was coming to pick me up from work and since we were heading to Toa Payoh I offered my colleague a lift since she lives there. She declined coz her husband was coming to pick her up early while I had to wait for my wife and daughter. It began to rain heavily. It was very late when my wife and daughter finally arrived.
.
After I got in the car. I decided to send this email in hokkien to my colleague.
.
"Heng ah le mian tan wo. Wa-eh bo n chabo-kia balu-lai. Lo-hor chin tua." ~ 2009 Oct 30, Friday, 07:16pm
.
Ok here's what I was trying to say Chinese Translated English:
"Lucky-ah you no need wait me. My wife and daughter just-come. Rain very big".
.
Here it is in hopefully proper English:
"Luckily, you did not have to wait for me. My wife & daughter have just arrived. It's raining cats & dogs."
.
An update on 2009 Nov 13, 1500hrs: My collegue said that she understood what I was trying to say ONLY after reading this blog entry. This is the main reason why I claim to be monolingual.
.
Ω

No comments: